Trolling Lures to Catch Bass (A How-to Troll Lures Tutorial)



In this video, I show you how I troll lures to catch bass. It is the only tactic I use in this video.

I want to show that this is an effective way to catch bass. As I mention in the video, I started doing this many years ago when I was without a gas motor on my motor boat. I either paddled a canoe or kayak, and sometimes used an electric trolling motor on my jon boat.

While doing this, I would cast lures behind the boat and let them sit in the rod holder when I was hopping from one spot to another. I found out that places I normally wouldn't fish held some bass, and even deeper spots off shore.

At the time, I remember feeling discouraged that my old gas motor had blown. But the silver lining was that I learned about a lot of places that held fish. I came to appreciate the simple joy of paddling a kayak and canoe, and making it work. Even though I have a working motor now, I still will use a kayak for a quick outing.

I learned a lot more about my lake, and some of those spots I would have never found out about, if I wasn't trolling lures.

It is also a good tactic to use if you are on an unfamiliar lake and nothing seems to be working. Or, if even if you are on a familiar lake and the fishing is slow, try taking a break from the casting and troll for a bit. You might learn something.

I believe all the fish I caught on this video were caught on an original floating Rapala lure. Black/silver and black/gold are good all-purpose colors, but the fire tiger and yellow perch color work well too.

I also use the Rapala Dives-To 4 and 6. But currently, the water is really low at my lake, and a lot of weeds have grown in throughout the summer, so I find that these snag a lot easier now, than they did earlier in the year when there was less weeds.

My lake is typically 4-6 feet off the shore, and maybe 6-10 in a few deeper places (out in the middle it can average 12-14, and the deepest spots are 16-18).

Obviously if you are fishing a deeper lake, or ones that don't have much weeds, you can use deeper diving lures. I usually try both a shallow and a deeper lure and see what works, and go from there.

I have also caught many trolling with a canoe or kayak. Usually a slow leisurely paddle is just about the right speed to troll a lure. I usually do at least a full cast behind the boat, and maybe let out another 10 feet of line or so (but not always).

Save 10% on all orders at Rapala.com! Just enter code FISH10 at checkout. Some exclusions apply.


I always encourage people to try this. Its not hard to do, and you can catch a lot of fish this way. It can be a relaxing way to fish, and gives you the chance to take in the scenery and wildlife, and enjoy nature.

Here is the video:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Abandoned Cascade Woolen Mill in Oakland, Maine

Smallmouth Bass Fishing on Phillips Lake in Maine

Fishing at Night with Black Lures