Outfitting a Canoe With a Side Mount Trolling Motor




This is my new updated video on how I set up a canoe with a side mount trolling motor.

I originally made a video on this about a year ago. Since then, I have made a few changes, and wanted to make a video that shows those changes.

The canoe in this video has been in the family since it was brand new in 1983. It is an aluminum Lowe canoe, 15' in length. I mostly use it solo, so that's how I have it setup, with that in mind. I sit in the bow seat facing back, as you should when using a longer canoe by yourself.

I keep my setup fairly simple. I made a bracket out of a single board of pressure treated 2x6, and a few cuts. After it was assembled, I sanded it down and put a couple coats of poly on it. If you have a chop saw, table saw, and other basic tools, this should be easy for you to make. I also added rod holders to this bracket, which can be used for trolling or just holding your rods.

I use a Minn Kota 24 lb thrust trolling motor which is about 25 years old. They don't make them that small anymore, but a new 30 lb. thrust is about $100 at Walmart (which I use on my aluminum jon boat). I lengthened the wire to run up to the front, where I have a 12 volt battery in a box, under the front seat. This weight helps balance out the canoe better.

Even though its powered by a motor, you should always bring a paddle just in case. I find that a 250cm kayak paddle works very well in this canoe, and was using that before I added a motor to the mix.

I usually have no more than 3 rods with me in the boat. Two can be in the holders behind me, and one just simply laying out on the thwarts, along with my net. Nothing fancy there.

I usually bring a dry bag with me which contains rain gear, extra layer of clothing, flashlight, and toilet paper. I also have a small tarp stuffed in there. I usually cram this thing in the bow of my Old Town Predator kayak when I use that.

For comfort, I use a GCI Outdoors sit backer seat, which easily straps on to just about any seat a canoe has. I bought mine through LL Bean, but a lot of other companies sell it with their own logo. But they are usually all made by GCI Outdoors. I recommend the seat for sure! I put a link below in case you are interested.

This video can apply to just about any canoe. It is a great way to get on the water. Used canoes can be taken for cheap on Craigslist. If you area on a budget, you can always start with just a canoe and paddle, then add the extras to it as you go, like the motor.

Save 10% on all orders at Rapala.com! Just enter code FISH10 at checkout. Some exclusions apply.



Here is the video, I hope you enjoy it:





Note: This is an updated video, as I mentioned. The original video will be left up. It was a longer video of almost 20 minutes, the first 8 minutes or so of the canoe setup, and the remainder is actual fishing. The fishing part of it was actually pretty good, so it may be worth watching because of that. If you are interested in the older version, check it out:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Abandoned Cascade Woolen Mill in Oakland, Maine

Smallmouth Bass Fishing on Phillips Lake in Maine

Fishing at Night with Black Lures