Early Fall Bass Fishing & Boat Motor Problems

I headed out last Sunday evening to the lake, and caught some early Autumn bass. I like this time of year. The days get cooler and comfortable, the leaves start to change, etc. Although, for the past week, its been in the 80's and even a couple days hit the 90's. So much for cool and comfortable!

My boat motor was giving me a lot of trouble last weekend. It would almost turn over on the first pull, and would not start from then on. So I used my trolling motor only. After taking it home and checking it over, I found that the spark plug terminal tips somehow became very loose and I tightened them back on. Never seen them do that before. Regardless, I gave the motor a couple pulls and it started right up.

Fall fishing for bass is a lot of fun in Maine. Most of the fair weather anglers are done for the year, so that means less boat traffic (sometimes NO boat traffic). As I said, usually its nice and cool.

Sometimes the middle of the day can be great for bass fishing this time of year. There are times when the water is a little cold in the morning and evening, and when it warms up in the middle of the day, sometimes they are in shallow water. There are some great lily pad areas around my lake, and in late September into October, they can be very productive.

Save 10% on all orders at Rapala.com! Just enter code FISH10 at checkout. Some exclusions apply.


On the night that I went out, I caught a few nice ones, all on Senko worms. I tried closer to shore, and used quicker moving lures, but I had no luck with that. I thought it may work because of the warmer than usual weather, and not to mention, a little higher than normal water temperature. They wanted Senko worms though, low and slow. So even with the warmer than usual air and water temperatures, they still seemed to behave like they typically do when it's cooler in the fall. When they hit them, they didn't hit them very hard. They were very light taps.

This is one of the reasons why I like to use a Medium/Light powered rod with 6 lb. test mono for finessing plastics. My setup, in case you wanted to know, is a St. Croix 7' ML, with a Pflueger President 6930 reel, with Sufix 6lb. mono. This setup works great; you may have to play the drag while reeling in the bigger fish, but its worth it. You will feel things in the water that you would never notice on a heavier rod!

It was a fine night, besides my motor not working. The only thing I don't like about this time of year, is that it gets dark too soon. The evening ended with a pink and orange sky after the sun disappeared from sight. The loons are still around, and the occasional group of ducks fly overhead. They will be leaving soon, too. I haven't heard the wood thrush and veery for a few weeks now, and probably won't until next year. They are probably my favorite birds to hear in nature's soundtrack when I go fishing. I do hear, and see the kingfishers more now. I know they're here for the summer, but they're more visible this time of year it seems. You can hear their beak snap from a fair distance, as they feed off fish and insects, and return to the tree laughing like a dolphin.

Soon, this will all be over, and winter, cold, and snow will be here. It comes with its own set of adventures and challenges. But for now...let's enjoy the fall!

Here is the video, that goes along with this blog post:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Abandoned Cascade Woolen Mill in Oakland, Maine

Smallmouth Bass Fishing on Phillips Lake in Maine

Fishing at Night with Black Lures